Thursday, August 16, 2007

Eva's Preliminary List

So, after looking at all the authors and realising that way too many sounded interesting, I decided on a new criteria: there must be a copy available in the US on bookmooch. This quickly narrowed the field (after all, these books are unpopular ;)) and I ended up with...

The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
The Last September by Elizabeth Bowen
The Wisdom of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton
The Small Room by May Sarton
A Book or Two by Walter Scott

I feel quite proud of the list, since it manages to achieve several of my general reading goals: read more women, read more short stories, read more classics. Yay! Plus, they all sound great. I am facing a huge dilemma re: which Walter Scott to choose. So many sound so good to me; I can't believe I've never read any Scott before! Of course, someone (can't remember who just now) is planning a one-author challenge for early next year, so Scott could play nicely into this.

Can't wait to see everyone else's lists up! Imani has requested that we use tags to keep everything organised, so I went ahead and made a 'reading lists' tag.

Cross posted (with some changes) at A Striped Armchair.

2 comments:

Rebecca H. said...

I'm reading Scott for this challenge, and I think I'm going to read Waverly, but that's just because it's what's on my shelves. Otherwise, I'd have a hard time deciding; there are so many.

Anonymous said...

I'll be reading Scott's Waverly for class this semester, and I've enjoyed Rob Roy, so I'm intrigued to see which Scott novels you choose!